Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I'll Be Back Soon

Okay, so quick update on the status of this blog. First, over the past week I've been in the process of moving. It's amazing how much stuff fits in a two bedroom apartment. The next week will be spent unpacking and setting up the new place. The computers are already set up, of course, but at the moment I have no internet connection at home. That will be set up soon.

Second, I've gotten a few freelance programming jobs. It's been fun, give me a little spending money, but takes up alot of time. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed it, but it's still been a major factor to my lack of free time. Lack of free time limits how much I can listen to these podiobooks I'm supposed to be reviewing.

Third, I've been in the search for a new, better paying, hopefully less stressful job. Several opportunities have arisen, and look promising.

I can, however, give a quick review of the podiobook "Playing for Keeps", by Mur Lafferty. I've only gotten to the third episode, but it quickly grabbed my interest. As a summary, Seventh City is the home of the Academy, a school for superheroes. The city is full of people with superpowers, which some use for good, some for 'evil', and some, the 'Third-Wavers', have powers that aren't exactly useful for either side. Now, just from that, it almost sounds like this a cheesy rip-off of X-Men. But, even after the first chapter, the protagonist, Keepsie, and her cynical view on the Academy, the superheroes and supervillains, and her 'unique' power make this a podiobook worth following. The listener is drawn into life with Keepsie and her friends. From the pointof view of those rejected from the Academy, the line between hero and villain becomes blurred, as does the role of the Third-Wave power wielding citizens of Seventh City. Like I said, I'm only into the third episode, but I'm greatly looking forward to where this book is going.

Finally a quick plug for Mur. Playing for Keeps is coming out in print on August 25. Mur and her fans are calling to everyone to purchase the book on Amazon.com on that day. Since it's coming out from a small publisher, it isn't going to get much press or attention. If everyone goes to Amazon.com, and gets the book on release day, we can push it up the charts and then everyone can see it, buy it, and Mur and the book will be noticed by those outside the podiobook world. Check out www.playingforkeepsnovel.com for more info, and to subscribe and download this great podiobook.

Finally, thanks to anyone who has read this blog at all, and especially to those who are watching to see when I come back. Previous plans have not been canceled, just postponed. Hoefully, within 2 weeks or less, I'll be back to weekly postings reviewing great podiobooks, and the surprises mentioned before will come. I promise.

No comments: